What does it mean when your beard is itchy?
Many favorite bearded image that adds a man’s charm and masculinity, very often accompanied by uncomfortable sensations for its owner. Itching is almost an integral part of growing a long beard. It can be so unbearable that it makes you want to take a razor and get rid of facial hair. Why beard itches and how to cope with unpleasant sensations, read on.
- There are many reasons for this condition. The most common is your hair. After a smooth shave, they become harder and coarser. It is more difficult for them to break through the skin, and if they meet on their way acne, clogged pores, they cause a lot of itching.
Also, the beard itches when the hair begins to grow. They naturally tickle the skin. Their sharp wide section, in contact with the epidermis, irritates it and causes itching. And if the skin is not sufficiently hydrated, the discomfort becomes more intense.
This is not all the causes of itching, consider why the beard still itches:
- Wrong cosmetics.
- Insufficient hygiene.
- Not sharp enough blades.
- Microtrauma, accidental cuts and infection.
- Excessive sweating.
Tired of itching? What to do
To get rid of unpleasant sensations, you should first determine their cause. If it is associated with the natural process of hair regrowth and worries only in the first days after shaving, it is recommended to follow a few tips that will help to quickly get rid of itching.
What to do if beard itches:
- wash with cold water, it narrows pores, blood vessels, reduces discomfort;
- apply to the bristles of a cooling lotion, aftershave cream.
Further, if the bristles are dry, then apply oil to it, which softens and envelops, prevents injury to the epidermis by the sharp ends of the hairs. If inflammation is present, apply drying agents, such as talc, to pre-cleaned skin. Carefully remove the remains with a towel.
The epidermis may itch for other more serious reasons. What can cause itching in the first days of hair growth, as well as on longer vegetation, ways to solve the problem are discussed in more detail below.
Itching in the 1 days of hair growth
In the first days of hair growth, the cause of itching may be related to:
- using an insufficiently sharp razor;
- ingrown hairs.
Tiny, accidental cuts, getting an infection. If the integrity of the epidermis is damaged, then the man should be especially careful, because there is a risk of developing sycosis. This recurrent inflammation of the hair follicles is caused by Staphylococcus aureus. After infection in the cut area, there is acute inflammation, swelling, wet surface, pustules.
What to do if bristles itch:
- Carefully wash the vegetation from contamination with a special beard shampoo with a cooling effect.
- If there are bleeding, then stop them with a cotton pad.
- Apply a lotion with antibacterial or antiseptic components to the skin to prevent infection.
- If the epidermis is very irritated, itchy, then apply ointment with soothing and anti-inflammatory substances (with calendula, aloe Vera, salicylic acid, etc.). With edema, apply hormonal ointment (eg, hydrocortisone).
Not sharp enough blades
Instead of cutting the hair, the blunt blades pull it out. As a result, the hair follicle is damaged and the hair begins to grow in the other direction: without penetrating the epidermis, horizontally, in parallel. All this causes itching of the skin.
What to do:
- to reduce dryness, stiffness of the hair, apply a moisturizing softening cream (with extracts of chamomile, streak, etc.), if there is swelling — hormonal ointment;
- to the epidermis does not itch after the next shave, it is necessary to change the razor to a sharp one.
The contact of hairs with the epidermis often ends with their ingrowth, especially in the anterior surface of the neck, submandibular, chin zone. This feature is often found in people with wavy hair type on the head. Free sharp ends are embedded in the epidermis, like splinters, damage its integrity, form nodules that become inflamed and itchy. In the future, these seals are cut off with a razor, the skin is infected. In their place, bloody crusts are formed.
What to do if the beard itches due to ingrowth?
There is a solution
- wash the beard and soften it by applying conditioner or oil for hard and dry hair-means will prevent cutting vegetation into the skin;
- to release the ingrown hairs spend a few facial peels with abrasive cosmetics (eg, scrub);
- in the future, shave the beard only on its growth — this will prevent damage to the hair follicle and growth in the wrong direction, Curling hairs, ingrowth.
When hair already long, but would still itch
If earlier the beard did not itch, and then suddenly there was itching, redness, swelling of the skin, rashes, then perhaps the cause is an allergic reaction. It often occurs when changing means for or after shaving, hygienic cosmetics (gel for washing, soap, shampoo for beard).
What to do if beard itches:
- avoid contact with the irritant;
- apply antihistamine ointment to the skin-it soothes, reduces sensitivity to allergens, relieves itching, reduces allergic rashes;
- if the beard itches and the skin swells — apply hormonal ointment
conventional shampoos contain a large amount of SLS. These substances create an abundant foam, effectively remove impurities, and with them a protective lipid barrier from the skin. This leads to increased dryness of the epidermis, sensitivity, and tendency to irritation.
What to do:
- to reduce the dryness of the epidermis and beard, apply a moisturizing or nourishing cream, balm-conditioner;
- in the future, buy cosmetics for beard care — it delicately cares not only for the epidermis but also for the hairs, prevents drying out.
Brutal bearded image requires regular care. On hair constantly collects dust, crumbs, bacteria. If you do not wash your beard, it begins to itch because of impurities that gather on the skin, clog pores, cause inflammation, there is an unpleasant smell.
hygiene What to do: remove dirt from the beard should be regularly, but not every day. Every day a protective lipid layer is formed on the skin and hair, which preserves the natural water balance, prevents drying out. Wash the hair with care products enough 1-2 p. a week. If there is pronounced pollution, for example, after eating, you can simply rinse the beard with water.
If the beard being too thick, it is possible to insufficient ventilation of the skin, sweating. This is a favorable environment for the reproduction of pathogenic microflora. As a result, the beard itches, the epidermis reddens and swells.
Sweat is a natural part of the body’s thermoregulation. Excessive secretion of sweat glands under the beard indicates that this part of the face overheats and the body tries to reduce the temperature by evaporation of moisture from the epidermis. Often bearded people face this problem in the hot season when playing sports.
To reduce sweating and associated itching, it may be time to trim or shorten the beard slightly, to give it a neat shape. Also, to reduce sweating, it is recommended to exclude the factors that provoke it: spicy food, excessive emotional reactions, carbonated drinks, alcohol, etc.
Various drying agents will help to remove excessive sweating and eliminate itching. These include baby powder, talc. Some plants help to normalize the secretion of sweat glands.
Before fighting beard itch, you should first find out the cause of this condition and make sure that it is not associated with any serious condition, such as allergies, skin diseases, etc.